Cefixime Trihydrate , an antibiotic, is a third-generation cephalosporin like ceftriaxone and cefotaxime. Cefixime is highly stable in the presence of beta-lactamase enzymes. As a result, many organisms resistant to penicillins and some cephalosporins due to the presence of beta- lactamases, may be susceptible to cefixime. The antibacterial effect of cefixime results from inhibition of mucopeptide synthesis in the bacterial cell wall.
Indications and Usage
● Urinary tract infections
● Infections caused by susceptible organisms.
Mechanism of Action:Cefixime is an orally active 3rd generation cephalosporin which exerts its bactericidal action against both gram positive & gram negative organisms by inhibiting bacterial cell wall synthesis. Cefixime inhibits transpeptidase & thus prevents cross linking of bacterial cell wall. Transpeptidase & associated proteins constitute various types of specific binding proteins which have affinity for cephalosporins like Cefixime. It is highly active against enterobacteriaceae, Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pyogens & Streptococcus pneumonia &many beta lactamase producing bacteria.
Pharmacokinetics:● Absorption: Absorbed orally up to 50 % & food delays absorption.
● Distribution: widely distributed.
● Metabolism: A portion of drug is metabolized in the body.
● Excretion: Excreted mainly through urine.
● Onset of Action for Cefixime: Within one hour.
● Duration of Action for Cefixime: 18 hours.
● Half Life of Cefixime: 3 hour.
● Loose or frequent stools
● Abdominal pain
● Stomach upset and flatulence
● Hypersensitivity to cephalosporins.
● Along with carbamazepine.
● Pseudo membranous colitis.
● Probenecid: Increases and prolongs the effect.
● Oral anticoagulants: Effects of anticoagulants potentiated.
● No clinically significant effect of food on the absorption of cefixime.
Warning & Precautions
● Caution should be exercised in patients with history of diarrhea, stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammation), bleeding or blood clotting problems, kidney or liver problems, poor nutrition, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
● It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
● Avoid alcohol consumption.
● Avoid changing dose forms (eg, tablets, suspension) without your doctor's advice.
● Take full course of treatment.
Other Precautions:● It may reduce platelet counts, avoid injury or bruising.
● Avoid any vaccination during the treatment.